Cocktail of the Month: Canalside Whiskey Sour
The classic cocktail with an orangey twist
Two things come to mind when we think of whiskey. The first is the classic, old bottle that dad pours a swig of on special occasions. The second takes us back to sticky college bars where we'd get a plastic cup of sour-mix with a splash of cheap whiskey. Think of the Canalside Whiskey Sour as the graduated version of the latter - a little more mature, a touch fancier, but might still make you want to dance on top of a table with your closest friends while avoiding all other responsibilities.
If this is your first whiskey sour experience, you may be a tad thrown by the egg white. That's OK! And, honestly, we don’t blame you. We opted to include the protein-packed ingredient as it’s smooth texture perfectly counteracts the tartness of our Citrus Sour craft soda. For a non-alcoholic version, swap the whiskey for equal-parts simple syrup and lemon juice.
Canalside Whiskey Sour
Yields 1 drink
2 oz. whiskey (try Dillon's Rye Whiskey)
¼ oz. lemon juice
½ oz. egg white
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup water
1 ½ oz. Canalside Citrus Sour soda
1 orange peel, for garnish
Optional: Dillon's Aromatic Bitters, to taste
- Prepare simple syrup. Add equal parts sugar and water to a pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and let cool.
- Dry-shake all ingredients. Combine whiskey, lemon juice, egg white and ½ ounce of the prepared simple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds, until mixture is combined or your arm gets tired - whichever comes first!
- Combine ingredients with ice. Top your shaker with ice and shake for another 20 seconds, or until the shaker is chilled.
- Pour craft soda and mixture into ice-filled glass. Fill a short bar glass with fresh ice and add Canalside’s Citrus Sour soda. Strain the whiskey mixture on top of the soda for an evenly layered cocktail.
- Garnish your Sour. Complete your drink with a twist of orange peel and a couple dashes of Dillon's Aromatic Bitters. While minimal in size, these two make all the difference, adding an extra oomph to your craft cocktail.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram @canalsidesoda and hashtag it #CanalsideCocktails