Accessible Customer Service Plan
Canalside Soda Company is committed to excellence in serving all clients, including people with disabilities.
The purpose of the Accessible Customer Service Plan (the “Plan”) is to ensure that Canalside Soda Company provides goods and services in accordance with the principles below and complies with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
Canalside Soda Company will use reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of its services to persons with disabilities are consistent with the following principles:
- goods and services are provided in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities;
- persons with disabilities are able to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other clients;
- persons with disabilities have opportunities equal to others to obtain, use and benefit from Canalside Soda Company ’s goods or services.
a) any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device,
b) a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability,
c) a learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language,
d) a mental disorder, or
e) an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
“Guide dog” means a dog trained as a guide for a person who is blind or visually impaired.
“Service animal” means an animal for a person with disabilities where it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability or where the person provides a letter from a regulated health professional confirming that he or she requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.
“Support person” means, in relation to a person with disabilities, another person who accompanies him or her in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care or medical needs or with access to goods and services.
Providing goods and services to persons with disabilities
Canalside Soda Company is committed to excellence in serving all clients, including persons with disabilities, and will carry out its functions and responsibilities by,
- communicating with persons with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability;
- serving persons with disabilities who use assistive devices. Canalside Soda Company will provide its staff with training on how to use any assistive devices available on Canalside Soda Company’s premises;
- ensuring that persons with disabilities who are accompanied by their guide dog or other service animals are permitted to enter the premises of Canalside Soda Company with the animal and to keep the animal with them, unless the animal is excluded by law from the premises;
- ensuring that persons with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person are permitted to enter the Canalside Soda Company premises with their support person.
A person with disabilities may be accompanied by a guide dog or other service animal when on Canalside Soda Company’s premises. Canalside Soda Company reserves the right to request that the person with a disability provide documentation from a regulated health professional where it cannot easily identify that the animal is a service animal. In the event that service animals are excluded by law from the premises, the firm will provide other resources or supports to enable the person with disabilities to access the services and goods offered by Canalside Soda Company.
Person with disabilities may enter Canalside Soda Company premises with a support person and have access to the support person while on the premises.
Canalside Soda Company does not charge fees for support persons, or if fees are charged for admission to the premises (e.g. special events), Canalside Soda Company shall provide notice of the amount in advance.
Canalside Soda Company may require persons with disabilities to be accompanied by a support person when on the premises, but only if a support person is necessary to protect the health and safety of the person with disabilities or the health or safety of others on the premises. Before requiring the person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person, Canalside Soda Company will:
- consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs;
- consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence; and
- determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers or employees with disabilities (including our washrooms), Canalside Soda Company will notify customers and employees promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Training for staff
Canalside Soda Company will provide training to all staff.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Canalside Soda Company’s Plan
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Canalside Soda Company ’s goods and services
All new staff will be trained. Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the Plan.
Canalside Soda Company welcomes any feedback, complaints or questions regarding the methods it uses to provide goods and services to persons with disabilities. Canalside Soda Company is also committed to ensuring that its feedback process is accessible by providing or arranging for accessible formats and communication supports, upon request.
Every complaint will be reviewed and assessed by Canalside Soda Company leadership. Where possible, we will address the issues raised in the complaint.
Individuals may provide their feedback, complaints or questions in person, by telephone, in writing, or by email to the Chief Soda Officer/Owner – Sean Polden:
9. Modifications to this or other policies
Changes will not be made to this Plan unless the impact of the changes on persons with disabilities has been considered.
Any policy of Canalside Soda Company that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. We have reviewed our current policies and are satisfied that no such modification or removal is required at the present time.
10. Maintenance of documents
Canalside Soda Company will maintain this Plan, which includes our policies, practices and procedures with respect to the following:
use of support persons;
use of guide dogs or service animals;
the steps to be taken in connection with a temporary disruption;
the training policy, including a summary of the contents of the training and details of when the training is to be provided;
records of the training provided under this policy, including the dates on which the training is provided and the number of individuals to whom it is provided;
the feedback process.
Canalside Soda Company will notify persons to whom it provides goods and services of its Plan, by posting the information at a conspicuous place on Canalside Soda Company’s premises, on Canalside Soda Company’s website or by such method as is reasonable in the circumstances.
When required under this Plan to give information or a document to a person with disabilities, Canalside Soda Company will provide the document or information in a format that takes into account the person’s disabilities.